I have involved Lira Town College in the Annual Communication Innovations Awards (ACIA) since 2013. In that year, we submitted a simple project titled “Multimedia Tutorials for teaching ICT in A-level.” We never made into the final shortlist and I was unable to attend the awards gala.
The following year we made a strong submission, “Walktrack” and it emerged the overall winning project under “Rising Stars” sub category, in Young ICT Innovators category.
The ACIA Awards is an annual initiative that fosters innovation through the recognition and reward of outstanding ICT innovations. ACIA provides a platform upon which outstanding ICT innovations can be showcased and propelled to further success.
The initiative was established in 2010 by the Uganda Communications Commission and since its establishment, various innovations have been recognised and awarded in different ways.
ACIA 2016 will mark the 6th round of the awards.
Objectives of the ACIA Awards
- To recognize outstanding innovations in the development and adoption of ICTs in Uganda
- To encourage individuals, academia, industry, government agencies and other entities to harness ICTs in creating solutions to Uganda’s development challenges
- To inspire, nurture, and facilitate Ugandan youth to develop a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship by leveraging ICT
- To raise awareness of the value of ICTs in the development of the country.
- To create a platform for showcasing innovations within the ICT industry in Uganda